The Kentucky Lions Eye Foundation has continuous needs for volunteers. Whether you are interested in helping us to provide vision screenings, you want to volunteer at our fundraising events or if you are interested in volunteering in the office to provide administrative / clerical help, we most likely have an opportunity that matches your skill set and availability. If you have questions or need more information please call 502-583-0564 or email email@example.com.
Now accepting applications for 2024 Spring, Summer and Fall Interns
Under the direction of Kentucky Lions Eye Foundation staff, the student intern will assist to provide outreach and follow-up to schools, businesses, and community centers served by Kentucky Lions Eye Foundation’s vision screening programs as well as recruit and train volunteers. The intern will also be trained to perform vision screenings and will be an active participant at vision screening venues. The main objective for this intern will be to develop new relationships with businesses to provide free vision screenings to employees, customers or children (when working with daycares, preschools, summer camps, etc.) This is a volunteer position.
Specific Duties Include:
1. Master vision screening protocols for all age groups using Spot screening equipment as well as Vision Van screening equipment. Once the student has mastered the various screening methods and protocols, she/he will participate as a vision screener at health fairs and schools and assist to train vision screening volunteers.
2. Interns will be responsible for organizing the presence of KLEF’s vision screening services at schools, daycares, businesses and community events.
3. Interns will work to build and improve KLEF’s connections and relationships with the general public to identify potential volunteers and partners to collaborate on vision screenings endeavors.
4. Interns will work directly with outside organizations and KLEF staff/volunteers to coordinate the scheduling of vision screenings in his or her area while working closely with staff and/or other volunteers to share vision screening equipment.
5. Interns will be expected to participate in up to 2 vision screenings a week and help to recruit, coordinate and schedule vision screenings (approximately up to 10-20 hours a week). Intern may also be asked to help coordinate KY State Fair volunteers and work the State Fair if possible.
Must be able to attend a training session in Louisville, KY at our office located at 301 E. Muhammad Ali Blvd., Louisville, KY 40202.
Prefer a student with interest in the medical field / public health and or education.
Must have reliable transportation and willing to travel as needed to attend vision screenings.
Must be willing and able to drive the Vision Van as needed.
Perform well in an environment that values compassion, patience, and resourcefulness.
Must complete required form for a background check.
Please send your resume and a cover letter to JenniferHunt@kylionseye.org.
Resumes and cover letters will be reviewed in the order in which they are received.
Please contact JenniferHunt@kylionseye.org or call 270-999-4887 for any questions you may have regarding this internship opportunity.
Event Volunteers Needed
We have an ongoing need for new volunteers to help with various events in Louisville and other areas of the state.
2024 Mr. and Miss Kentucky Basketball Award Ceremony:
Sunday, March 17th - Looking for 5-10 volunteers to help with setup prior to the event, assist with registration during the event and auction preparation prior to the event as well as setup and auction execution during the event. This is a fun opportunity to help with this memorable event!
Vision Screening Volunteers Needed
We have an ongoing need for new volunteers to help with various vision screenings in Louisville and other areas of the state. If you would like to have your email added to our volunteer email list so that you will be notified of any upcoming vision screenings, please contact JenniferHunt@kylionseye.org or call 502-583-0564 ext. 103.
2024 Kentucky State Fair Vision Screenings:
Thursday, August 15th - Sunday, August 25th - Looking for 20-30 volunteers per day to help with vision screenings each day of the Kentucky State Fair. If you are interested in signing up, please email KarenHayse@kylionseye.org. Fair volunteers received FREE entry into the fair in exchange for a 5-6 hour volunteer shift. This is a fun opportunity to visit the Fair, while giving back to a great organization and providing a great service while you're there!
2024 Drive 4 Sight Golf Scramble:
DATE & LOCATION TBD - Looking for volunteers to help with auction item, sponsorship and donation solicitations prior to the event. We are also looking for 10-12 volunteers to help set up and staff the scramble on Friday, October 6th. These volunteers must be able to stand for several hours at a time and be able to be outside in the elements the entire day. Volunteers needed to help with registration, golfer check in, auction and raffle, food service, placing hole signage on the course, manning a prize hole, running the 'blind' putt contest, etc.